1222: St Peter’s Church consecrated
As Berkhamstead town grows around the castle, a new church is consecrated close to the castle. The first known rector of St Peter’s Church, Robert de Tuardo, is instituted in 1222 by the Bishop of Lincoln, Hugh of Wells.
Berkhamsted Castle Trust
Berkhamsted Castle Trust manages the Berkhamsted Castle site in partnership with English Heritage under a Local Management Agreement. Our volunteers rely on the generosity of the public.